Thursday, January 6, 2011

Don't Call Me a Health Nut...

...Because I definitely am not.

Let me preface this post by saying that I know that I am in reasonable shape, not overweight, and feel good. That aside, I have decided to eat a little bit healthier, and to workout a couple times a week. How is that for being vague about a new year's resolution?

I don't know why I decided to do this other than I am at an all time high weight of 173ish lbs. GASP! I know that isn't too much to weigh when you are 6'1, but when Amanda and I were married I weighed in around 158. I would actually argue that 15 lbs. in 3 years isn't so bad, but if I were being honest, I would admit that those 15 lbs. actually arrived mostly in the last few months. I have also noticed that they have arrived in primarily one area - my belly.

Now before anyone says "that's not a big deal, you should continue eating whatever you want, in whatever quantity you want.", I would like to say, thank you, I would do that if I didn't think it would hurt me further down the road. Don't get me wrong, I love going to bar-b-que places and eating roughly a pound and half of meat. It is, in fact, one of my FAVORITE things. I really love food to an extent that most people would not be aware of. Don't let my lunch of Chicken nuggets in the shapes of dinosaurs, mac 'n cheese, and a banana convince you that I have an unsophisticated palate (the banana is part of me eating better - normally I would just eat more of the chicken and mac 'n cheese). I truly like most vegetables (that aren't in a salad - really all veggies but lettuce), fruit, cheeses, meats, dairy, breads, the list goes on.

Basically all this to say I know I need to eat a little bit better and to work out more often. I feel like my run of eating whatever I want is coming to a close, and I plan on living a long time, and I hear that eating well helps with that. So yes, I resolve to eat more fruit, more veggies, to not eat after I am full, and to other such healthy things like drink more water. I also resolve to work out a couple of times a week.

I don't really know how to wrap this post up, so I am going to post a picture of my favorite thing to eat because... well I don't know why, so just look at it and maybe we can have one together some time soon if you are doing well with your resolution. THAT'S IT! I won't eat one of these until I have done well with my resolution for a while. Now I have incentive. Let's do it!


A bar-b-que bacon cheeseburger and fries.
No need to point out how bad it is for you - just eat one and your taste buds will dance with joy.

2 comments:

the blogivers said...

Ok, but I just want to make sure the resolution is going on a break next week while we're in NYC... right?

The Joiners said...

Good call by Allison- can your resolution go on vacation while we're on vacation?

I am very proud of you and look forward to dragging you along in my workouts soon :)